13 April 2009

perfectly great



One embryo, in the right place, measuring 6w 2d. And we got to see the heartbeat (HOLY SHIT FOLKS).

One bittersweet moment: seeing an empty second sac. That explains a lot of what I was feeling and supports my own intuition. So while it was affirming, it was very sad.

But it was the best news possible to see our little one defying the odds just by being there.

The doc laughed, beamed, smiled and shook his head, said he SURE would not have bet on it.

And with that and a small lecturette on prenatal nutrition, I officially graduated from the faraway fertility clinic to the much more local maternal and fetal medicine guy since I am of advanced maternal age. I already know that I like him a lot, having met him once before all of the fertility/IVF hootenany. He is geeky and competent and has a very no nonsense no bullshit way about him while still being humane. Am waiting back to hear when our appointment will be.

I promise to post a photo later on.**updated as promised! This baby is zoomed waaaay in. That gestational sac is about 1.6cm along the long avocado axis.**

20 comments:

Grade A said...

WOOOO HOOOOO!!!! That is so exciting, Kate. I am thrilled for you. Enjoy, enjoy and live in the moment.

Nic said...

Thats great, I am so happy for you!! Really want to see pictures!Pleased all is well with your one fighter!! x

Sprogblogger said...

WOOHOO!!!!! Fantastic news! Looking forward to seeing pictures!

Searching for Serenity said...

Fantastic news and congrats on your 'graduation'.

I'm so happy for you!

karen alonge said...

this is awesome news! congratulations hardly seems like a big enough word, but it's all I have for now....
xo

@alyssa ettinger said...

kate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cady said...

i'm so glad you got to see the heartbeat. that really comforted us when we went in for our u/s last week.

Eb said...

Wow, amazing. congratulations.
EB

JB - A.K.A. Jenn said...

Truly a bittersweet moment!

I am so thrilled you got to see that lil heartbeat! Congrats mama!

HUGS

Anonymous said...

yay - congrats!!! that is incredible news, I got goosebumps and I am sorry to hear about the empty sac - ((HUGS)).

you are giving me hope.

K said...

Most excellent! Congrats....will keep checkin up on you. :) K.

Joannah said...

I'm so sorry about the empty sac, but thrilled to know that your other little one is thriving. It really is a miracle considering how it all began, huh?

I'm really happy for you!

Anonymous said...

yay yay yay yay yay! i'm so excited about this beating little heart! at the same time i'm sorry about the empty sac. i'm sure that's difficult to see.

oh lady, this is one very happy day. i wish i could jump up and down with you. ok maybe jumping isn't the best thing right now. how 'bout a really big hug.

Sarah said...

We just peeked in at your blog to get an early look at our niece or nephew. All teared up. I am so happy for you.(((Kate)))

Anonymous said...

So excited! Can't wait to hug you on Wednesday. Peeka will be so thrilled to have a little friend, not that she doesn't just love Finnegan!

B. said...

Hurray! Congratulations on graduating out of the fertility clinic. The beauty of a beating heart... I can only imagine how relieved you must have felt, and I am thrilled for you!

onwardandsideways said...

Yeah! Congratulations! What a relief that must have been (although I understand sadness at the 2nd empty sac.) You are beating some rather amazing odds, and I love it.

P.S. Thanks for the award! : ) Will respond to that shortly on my blog.

Barefoot said...

Hooray and congratulations!! Such wonderful news.

daves51 said...

Very beautiful in every way.

Maredsous said...

It has your eyes!!! Words cannot begin to describe the joy I feel for you. So happy to have such a perfect thing happen to such a nice person.

Keep us posted.